Taekwon-Do is one of the most widely practiced martial arts in the world. It is both a style of combat and international sport of Korean origin. As one of the most successful Taekwon-Do clubs in the country, we are consistently turning out national and international competitors. Looking for competitive glory, to get fit, or to meet people and just have a good time, come join the NUI Galway Taekwon-Do club today.
The NUI Galway Taekwon-Do Club celebrates it's 25th year as a University club in 2018/19. We are a member of Taekwondo Ireland, but welcome students from all organisations and taekwondo affiliations.
Our head instructor Mr. Spelman is the first IV Dan Black Belt of Taekwon-Do in our club and has been a member of the club since he joined as a white belt nearly 20 years ago. Our other instructor Ms. Fitzpatrick is a II Dan Black Belt and is currently training for her III Dan Black Belt. She has been a member of the club since she joined as a white belt.
TI World Championships - Birmingham - July 2017
Well done to Agata Rzeznik, Aaron Croke, Nathan Deane-Huggins, Lorcan McCarthy and Roisin O'Loughlin who traveled over to Birmingham to compete as part of the Irish TKDI team at the Taekwon-Do International World Championships. This was a huge competition, with competitors travelling from as far as the USA and Australia.
Our members were unlucky in the patterns section of the competition, but did very well in the sparring part of the tournament.
- Agata Rzeznik, bronze in individual sparring
- Nathan Deane-Huggins, silver in individual sparring and gold in Ultimate Striker
- Lorcan McCarthy, silver in Ultimate Striker
- Roisin O'Loughlin, silver in Ultimate Striker
(Pictured: Mr Jordan Lacey, Lorcan McCarthy, Agata Rzeznik, Nathan Deane-Huggins, Ms Roisin O'Loughlin, Aaron Croke)
May 2018, Annual Black Belt Grading and Awards Night:
- Ms Roisin O'Loughlin awarded her 1st degree black belt.
- Agata Rzeznik won the Taekwondo Ireland Senior Competitor of the Year Award.
Spring Grading 2018:
- Aaron Croke, Red belt
- Agata Rzeznik, Red tag
- Nathan Deane-Huggins, Blue tag
- Lorcan McCarthy, Yellow belt
- Stephen Hughes, Yellow belt
- Luke Coughlan, Yellow belt
- Deborah Malone, Yellow belt
- Emmet Devaney, Yellow belt
Thanks to Master Burke who traveled up from Cork to grade everyone.
T.A.G.B. Birmingham - November 2017
Well done to Agata Rzeznik, Aaron Croke, Nathan Deane-Huggins and Roisin O'Loughlin who all went over to Birmingham and competed in the T.A.G.B. British Championships. This was a massive competition with over 1500 competitors that was held in the Barclay Arena in Birmingham.
Our members were unlucky in the patterns section of the competition but did very well in the sparring part of the tournament.
Overall, it was a fantastic experience and a great time was had by all.
- Agata Rzeznik, silver in tag sparring and bronze in individual sparring
- Nathan Deane-Higgins, bronze in individual sparring
- Roisin O'Loughlin, bronze in individual sparring
November Grading 2017:
- Cathal Ó Mhurcú, Red belt
- Aaron Croke, Red tag
- Agata Rzeznik, Blue belt
- Darrough Tock ,Blue tag
- Nathan Deane-Higgins, Green belt
- Regine Reineke, Green belt
- Deborah Malone, Yellow tag
- Stephen Hughes, Yellow tag
- Lorcan McCarthy, Yellow tag
- Trevor Hyland, Yellow tag
- Emmet Devaney, Yellow tag
- Owen Higgins, Yellow tag
- Brian Fox, Yellow tag
October 2017 Connacht Championships
Very well done to all of those who attended Connacht Taekwon-do Championships today! Especially to all of the new members of the club: Reg, Lorcán and Emmet
- Roisin O'Loughlin, Gold in patterns & gold in sparring
- Cathal Ó Mhurcú, Silver in sparring
- Aaron Croke, Gold in patterns and silver in sparring
- Agata Rzeznik, Silver in patterns and silver in sparring
- Regime Reineke, Gold in sparring
- Nathan Deane-Higgins, Gold in patterns and gold in sparring
- Emmet Devaney, Bronze in patterns and bronze in sparring
- Lorcan McCarthy,Bronze in patterns and silver in sparring.
Congratulations to you all.
May 2014 Annual Black Belt Grading and Awards Night:
May 2013 Annual Black Belt Grading and Awards Night:
- Mr Adrian Lawless Awarded his 2nd degree black belt
- Mr Peter Spelman promoted to TKDI Examiner
- Mr.Peter Spelman, Head Instructor, Awarded his 4th degree black belt.
- Mr. Joshua Byrne, Awarded his 1st degree black belt and also won the Taekwon-Do Ireland Competitor of the year award.
NUIG Intervarsities 2018
After initial postponement due to an unprecedented heavy snowfall back in early March, the 2018 Intervarsities finally got underway in the Kingfisher on Sunday the 15th of April.
On the day we had over 50 competitors, with clubs from UCC, DIT, NUI Maynooth, UL, SRC, UCD and NUIG all being strongly represented. We had three rings in operation, as competitors competed in individual patterns, individual sparring, team patterns and team sparring.
NUIG Taekwondo Club was successful on the day, coming away with silverware across all divisions.
Thanks to all the black belts for umpiring and referring the competitions, in particular Mr Spelman and Ms Fitzpatrick.
An enjoyable sporting day was had by all taking part and good luck to UL Taekwondo club who have agreed to host next years Intervarsities.